Saturday, August 7, 2010

Rude for Thought: Mario Flaherty





Who is Mario Flaherty? I've known Mario since the 1st grade and he was ALWAYS the tallest kid in the class. He's reached 6'9" now and is following his dream of playing Professional basketball! In all honesty, Mario and I have lost contact in recent years, but I've been following his basketball career a bit, especially after he decided to transfer from Skyline College to play Division I ball at Houston Baptist University where he started almost every game and soldified himself as a true force. He had big games against the likes of Michigan (17 pts, 13 rebs, 3 assists) and played against (thee) Ohio State.

He averaged about 14 pts and 10 rebs a game and an even better 20 pts and 12 rebs in league play. He made 1st Team All Conference, 1st Team All Defense, and 1st Team All-Tournament! He also made the Rice Invitational Tournament All-Tournament and finished in the Top 50 in the country in scoring and rebounding and the Top 25 in field goal percentage! Not a bad resume at all!

Mario is really an inspiration for me; just knowing that a kid who I've known since I was 6 is willing to go Texas and now to China to chase his dreams is amazing. I don't even have to leave the comfort of my home to do Rude Etiquette (not yet anyways). It's just surreal to see someone who I used to play basketball with in my own backyard with go Pro and has a shot at making it to the NBA.

So here's to Mario! To all your future endeavors and successes. We've come a long way since Meadows Elementary and like you said, "the only direction is up"...

-D_Rude
Get Gooder

No comments:

Post a Comment